Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Well Let's See Chelsea!!!!


Today we started our day at the World Trade Center and St. Paul’s church. When we arrived at the site I thought that I would be very emotional I have not been to the world trade center in a while and the last time I was there I bawled like a baby. St. Paul's is Manhattan's only remaining colonial church. St. Paul's served British officers as a house of worship during the British occupation and survived a fire of 1776 thanks to the bucket brigade who carried water from the Hudson. St. Paul's was also used by George Washington following his inauguration at Federal Hall (BG, 77). More recent St. Paul’s church was a place of refuge for the firefighters and volunteers of ground zero. The church was later transformed in a museum to honor the heroic actions of these people. The interior of the church is painted in pale colors, graced by slender Corinthian columns supporting a barrel-vaulted ceiling (BG, 78). 
 Next we ventured over to Zuccotti Park. Zuccotti Park formerly called Liberty Plaza Park is located in the Lower East Side of Manhattan just steps away from the Freedom Tower. In 2011, the plaza became the site of the Occupy Wall Street protest camp. During the demonstration, activists occupied the plaza and used it as a staging ground for their protests throughout the Manhattan Financial District.
We walked pass Trinity Church which is one of New York’s most famous houses of worship. The architecture of this building is a beautiful neo-gothic theme. Trinity was one of the first gothic revival Churches in the nation, as well as the first gothic revival in the city.  The architect was Richard Upjohn (BG, 65). The churchyard houses the bodies of many famous people like Alexander Hamilton, Robert Fulton, William Bradford, the publisher of the New York Gazette and Captain James Lawrence (BG, 66).    
Next we walked through Wall Street. Wall Street gets its name from a wall in 1653, which stretched river to river to protect the Dutch town from its British neighbors. Since the New York Stock Exchange moved here in 1903, Wall Street has been synonymous with New York’s financial industry (BG, 64). A lot of people most of them were dressed in business suits were bustling through the area. The cobble stone roads were really nice, Wall Street is home of the New York Stock Exchange. We stopped in the Federal Hall National Monument. This site was home to the first Congress, Supreme Court, and Executive Branch. George Washington took the oath of office in 1789 as the first president of the United States (BG, 69).   I learned about the beginnings of the United States of America Congress and Treasury Department.  I really enjoyed this monument just because I love law and wanted to pursue a career in the government.
Walking not too far we reached Battery Park. Battery Park was originally a landfill, but is now a 23-acre park and offers views of the harbor (BG, 46). Mike said that Battery Park got the name because it housed cannons in case of invaders. We then walked along the Esplanade which was beautiful even though it was very cold with a light mist of the river. The view was immaculate we saw Jersey and I beautiful boats in the docks. I would think this place would be beautiful in the summer and probably packed with New Yorkers.
Our next stop was the Poet's House.  The Poets house is a national poetry library and literary center that invites the public and poets to join the living tradition of poetry.  It is embodies with a lot of culture and diversity.  I enjoyed this beautiful place with so many books for all types of people. When Mike said there is a book of poetry for everyone I so didn’t believe him but I was sadly mistaken. I found books that I was very much interested in and I must return to this place.  By the time I left, though, I was feeling really terrible my chest started to tighten up more than usual, but I was determined to finish the day.
Finally we made it to Chelsea!! Thanks to Mauretta executive decision we took the train instead of walking, which was a great relief to my lungs and legs. If we had to walk I think I would have passed out midway there (LOL) Chelsea was originally an area known for drugs, transvestites and prostitution. Since then it has undergone a rapid change and now has numerous art galleries and chic shops (BG, 186). It was time to for Lunch and I was starving I was so happy we reached the Chelsea Market. The former Nabisco factory, Chelsea Market now contains shops offering high-quality good, wine, kitchen wares and flowers (BG, 186).  I was just so excited to be out the cold and eat that I didn’t really get to explore the Market as much as I wanted to but I will definitely come back.
Next we walked on Highline which is an elevated railroad track if it wasn’t so cold I think my classmates and I would have enjoyed it more. Finally we entered some galleries in Chelsea by then my chest was really hurting me and I was ready to go home. My favorite little corky place in Chelsea was the Printed Matter Inc. shop. The shop offered many different unique books it was really interesting to me. In total the day was very eventful and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite places of the day would have to be the Federal Hall National Monument, the Poet house and the Printed Matter Inc. shop. Well in that case I would think if the day wasn’t so cold and I felt better this would be one of my top two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment