Monday, September 17, 2012

Bodacious Brooklyn










Waking up this morning I was excited to know that we would be traveling around Brooklyn. Brooklyn is the largest borough in New York City. When I arrived at Coney Island, I met up with the “Queens Crew” and we discussed our expectations for the day. Our day started in Coney Island I was so excited, because as a little girl my parents would take me to Coney Island every summer. When we got onto the boardwalk I could remember the vivid smells of the Nathans hotdog, cotton candy and popcorn on those summer nights with my parents eating Funnel Cake, watching the Freak show and all the boardwalk entertainers. The Dutch name for the island originally was Konijn Eilandh, which translated to Rabbit Island, then the English name renamed it as we know it today Coney Island(BG, 492). Between about 1880 and World War II Coney Island was the largest amusement area in the United States, attracting several million visitors per year. The Coney Island the birthplace of the hot dog and home of the world’s most terrifying roller coaster the Cyclone (BG, 492).  The Cyclone is an historic wooden roller coaster and replicated all over the North. On June 18, 1975, Dewey and Jerome Albert, owners of Astroland contracted to operate the Cyclone under an agreement with New York City.


Our next stop was to the Transit Museum, although I have visited there previously, this had to be my favorite location. The first time I visited there I did a walk around tour on my own with my nephew, today I was able to really understand the framework behind building the subway.This unused subway station was inaugurated in 1976 and is run by the Metropolitan Transit Authority, its exhibits include buses, trains, bridges and tunnels (BG,468) Our tour guide was extremely interesting and kept me engaged. She spoke about Manhattan Schist as tough stone in which the skyscrapers are built into and the subway had to plow through to be constructed. The dangerous job of the Irish and Italian Sandhog, and the opening of the first subway was on October 27, 1904. I loved the turnstile exhibition upon leaving the museum it starts with some of the oldest turnstile to the more modern. My favorite turnstile at the museum would have to be the early wooden ticket chopper to a fullbody turnstile known as " iron maiden"(BG,468), just because it seems to give a little nudge right on your bum to get you on your way.


 



Walking from the Transit Museum we headed over to the Brooklyn Historical Society, being a history buff I enjoyed walking through the neighborhood. The Brooklyn Historical Society was founded in 1863 as the Long Island Historical Society( BG,472). Brooklyn Heights stretches from Old Fulton Street near the Brooklyn Bridge to Atlantic Avenue and from the east River to Court Street and Cadman Plaza. Located in Cadman  is the now Brooklyn Borough Hall, before it was known as the Brooklyn City Hall up until 1898. I knew that New York had a lot of history but it really hit me today, especially Brooklyn. In Downtown Brooklyn Jackie Robinson was signed to the Brooklyn Dodgers on Montague Street, named after Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (BG,472), and location of the original Arts Institute before BAM incorporated the art institute into their program. I attend  church just a few steps from these historic locations and did not know all the historical content it encompassed

.
Taking in the beautiful sights of Brooklyn Heights we made our way to the Promenade. At the Promenade there is a plaque in stone that landmarks The Battle of Brooklyn in 1776, after the British army invades on Long Island and starts attacking the Continental Army, General George Washington constructed a major plan to withdraw his army after losing to the British Army. Make a skillful retreat across the East River to Manhattan with the remaining troops andsupplies, Washington was able to recoup his army and come back with a vengeance ultimately defeating the British army.

 From the Promenade we mad our way to start our journey over the Brooklyn bridge!!! L I stretched out my legs and decided that I would walk the bridge at my own pace, and I will make it over (then again what choice did I have). When the bridge first opened on May 25,1883, it was the largest bridge arching 1,595 ft across the East River ( BG, 464). Arriving at the highest point of the bridge and taking in the breathe taking view of the Manhattan skyline I was taken back. I have crossed the Brooklyn Bridge driving about a million times but never really had the chance to take in the view. Being up on the bridge it felt so surreal, the birds eye view of the city as the sunset kisses the buildings I felt proud to be a New Yorker ( as cheesy as it sounds). My city is so beautiful, and I was glad I had a chance to experience it. On the way down the bridge entering Manhattan I felt energized, and even more ecstatic that the day was over.






No comments:

Post a Comment