Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Eastside


Today our journey took us to the enchanting East side. We visited the Metropolitan Museum of art. The building has grown from modest Ruskinian Gothic beginnings to its present size and complexity, with additions reflecting the reigning architectural styles of the past century (BG327) I have visited the museum many times before to experience the beautiful painting and sculptures. This present time was to visit the styling and artistry of Andy Warhol. I have previously heard the name and saw some of his work before but never a whole exhibit dedicated to his art. I enjoyed myself thoroughly I wish we were allowed to take pictures so I could share some of the amazing artistry. If anyone is ever in the area and available to visit the museum while he is on display I would honestly recommend it. After the exhibit we were allowed to explore the museum on our own I was so excited to go to the Roman exhibit. I love the sculptures of David, he Roman gods and the medieval art. The earliest pieces come from the Roman Empire at the time of Constantine, whose conversion to Christianity marked a turning point in the history of the ancient world (BG 327)

Next we ventured to Central Park. Central is the heartland of Manhattan, 843 acres set aside for the recreation of New Yorkers and visitor alike (BG279) I have been to central park for summer concerts but never to experience the whole park and its beauty. Strawberry Fields in honor John Lennon, the songwriter, singer and member of The Beatles, who was assassinated in the courtyard of the nearby Dakota Apartments in 1980(BG 290) There we witness an ancient Chinese tea service  the lady wardrobe was so cute.

My favorite tour of the day was visiting the Plaza Hotel. I loved the books Eloise the Plaza and the movie was so nice, it depicted the hotel to point. I never knew that the hotel was now apartments and had a mall in the lobby it was so cool. Architect Henry J Hardenbergh has long been admired for his skill in manipulating the details of its French Renaissance design- dormers, balustrades, high roofs, and rounded corner turnings- to create a harmonious whole. In the past 20 years the hotel has changed owners several times and undergone $400 millions dollars in renovations (BG273)


 Before The Plaza we visited FAO Schwartz I have never been to the store before and was excited when I saw that it was a toy store, my favorite part of the store was the candy section in the rear, the candy was good and was not overprices like most things in Manhattan.

Walking down 5th ave I was able to see all the expensive stores and go into Tiffany &Co. I loved the movies Breakfast at Tiffany’s and as soon as we walked outside I was able to notice the iconic scene when Audrey Hepburn stood outside eating her croissant.
Overall today was a very relaxing day we did a lot of walking and saw numerous sights. I enjoyed my day but so far nothing has really compared to out Brooklyn tour.

1 comment:

  1. 22/25

    Chantal:

    Your last post was a bit short. The others were fine, but inconsistent in citing the BG and using hyperlinks.

    ReplyDelete